Be THE FIRST TO KNOW..
(AND RECEIVE 10% oFF YOUR FIRST ORDER)
Meet Lucy Asprey, William & Son Buyer…
Here at Penmayne HQ we are enormously proud to have our fedora and trilby hats stocked in William & Son, one of London’s most famous luxury boutiques.
We caught up with Lucy Asprey, the shop’s head buyer and the gorgeous wife of William Asprey, the founder of William & Son. Here she tells us how she keeps one step ahead sourcing the finest handpicked essentials for town and country living, and where she and William go to escape the city...
1) William and Son is renowned for crafting luxurious goods including silverware, watches, leather accessories, crystal, china, glassware, cashmere, jewellery and other bespoke items. Which department is your personal favourite and why?
That’s a hard question. I love looking after all of them as they have such diverse, beautiful things! I see incredible leather accessories, cashmere and outerwear when buying for our Town and Country clothing department, and gorgeous crystal, glassware and bedlinen for Homeware... The list is endless and there is so much variety, but those are probably my two favourite departments. I am passionate about my role in the business.
2) When you are reviewing products to take in to William & Son what do you and your buying team look for? How do you know when you see something you feel has a home at William & Son?
The main criteria is to find something that represents good value, is ideally unique to us and sits comfortably within the store. I rely on my gut feeling; if it makes me smile and I want it, and I feel it looks enticing to the customer. I also take my supplier relationships very seriously and I need to know I can work well with them in a mutually beneficial way.
3) Your customers enjoy the finer things in life, both in the town and in the country. Where do you and William spend your time when you escape the city?
We have a bolt hole in West Berkshire which we escape to most weekends, which is bliss.
4) What are your wardrobe staple favourites that take you from town to country?
Luckily the store is perfect for the essential items! To name a few, our fur lined parka coat, cashmere polo necks, and hats and scarves.
5) Your job means you travel a lot. What are your fail-safe travel essentials that you would never leave home without?
I am terrible at travelling light and my husband always groans at the size of my wash bag! My essentials would include a cashmere stole, mascara, and Eau de Jade perfume.
6) When you aren’t working, how do you relax and recoup?
I love being in the country taking our two dogs on long walks. I take great pleasure pottering around the garden too, and working out what to buy from the garden centre. In the evenings I really enjoy cooking and then ending the day with a lovely glass of wine snuggled up on the sofa in front of a roaring fire or sitting in the garden enjoying the sunset.
7) Are you a ‘hat girl’ and do you have a favourite hat from the William & Son Penmayne of London collection?
I wear a lot of hats when I am in the country, and my favourite is the Charcoal Willow Festival Fedora hat with the black braid and feather – I love it!